Test II variant
1. I … tennis when I … to have a rest.
A. played, decided B. was playing, was deciding
C. was playing, decided
2. Mary is so beautiful! She … a lot for the last 3 years.
A. changed B. has changed C. change
3. Do you hear? Somebody … !
A. is singing B. sings C. is sung
4. These books … by all my family.
A. read B. was read C. were read
5. Before travelling by plane you … buy a ticket.
A. must B. should C. may
6. Christmas … the most popular holiday in Great Britain.
A. will B. are C. is
7. You are not well! You … see the doctor.
A. should B. could C. may
8. This book … into 14 languages.
A. translated B. has translated C. was translated
9. … ? I can’t find it!
A. where my diary is B. where is my diary C. is where my diary
10. They … successful businessmen last year.
A. will become B. became C. are becoming
11. Jack … read and write when he was 5 .
A. could B. should C. will be able
12. He … his work yesterday.
A. finished B. had finished C. was finished
13. When the manager arrived, we … .
A. had already gone B. were gone C. went already
14. The Earth’s surface … mostly … by water.
A. is … covered B. was … covered C. has … been covered
15. They live in Barcelona, … ?
A. aren’t they B. don’t they C. are they
16. Her younger brother is 5. He … read, write and count up to 1000.
A. might B. can C. has to
17. He … to Australia.
A. never been B. was never C. has never been
18. “Peace and War” was written … Tolstoi.
A. with B. by C. ---
19. I … my sister this week .
A. haven’t visited B. didn’t visit C. weren’t visited
20. It … while we … for a bus.
A. rained, waited B. was raining, were waiting
C. was raining, waited